Sunday, February 20, 2011

Winter Soup

Well sometimes when I have free time to check out some of my favorite blogs, I'll have the TV on with either a design show or cooking show on.  I like the Sunny Anderson show Cooking for Real.  I saw her make a Butternut Squash soup one day and it looked GOOD.  While I didn't keep track of a recipe I did get the basics of what she did and had to try it myself a few weeks later.  This is my first time trying butternut squash and I LOVED it!!
How good does that look!!!  It was sweet and savory, hot and creamy!  And HEALTHY!!!

Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium size butternut squash
2 medium carrots peeled and diced
1 medium onion diced
2 celery stalks diced
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg
Chicken or Vegetable stock, reduced sodium
light sour cream

Preheat oven to *350.  Slice squash in half, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and fresh ground pepper.  Place on a lined baking sheet cut side up, bake until tender.  It takes about 20 minutes but check with a fork.
Next in a soup pot heat a small amount of olive oil and saute the diced veggies until tender.  Scoop out the seeds from the squash and discard.  Scoop the remaining squash from the peel and add to the pot with about 3 cups or so of stock.  Let it simmer for another 10 minutes to let the flavours meld.  Next blend with a stick blender right in the pot until smooth. Sprinkle in some fresh nutmeg.  Add a dollop of sour cream.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...