Saturday, November 27, 2010

Red Onion Jam

I made this recipe one afternoon when I was checking out one of my favorite foodie blogs here!.  I would say that it is more like a relish than a jam.  But it is great on a sandwich, on a pork or beef roast or just as a condiment.  Try it for yourself!!



Red Onion Jam


2 tbsp butter

3 tbsp olive oil

salt and pepper to season

3 large red onions, sliced or chopped

1 large shallot minced

1/2 tsp ground dry thyme

1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

4 tbsp balsamic vinegar

2 tbsp dark brown sugar

1/2 cup red wine



In a small pot or saute pan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Throw in the onions and shallots, season with salt and pepper and saute until the onions are completely cooked and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add the brown sugar,thyme, nutmeg, balsamic vinegar and red wine and simmer together until the red wine reduces and the mixture comes to a thick jam-like consistency. Remove from heat and serve or bottle in mason jars for later.

I made extra and put in the mason jars for gifts when I send my Christmas box back home! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...